Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc will make every effort to provide transport to Clients for some of their essential health appointments and will make every effort to operate our vehicles according to schedules and get Clients to your appointments on time in a safe, comfortable environment who meet the eligibility criteria.
The Transport Service is only available to Clients of Nunkuwarrin Yunti who need to attend essential health appointments within the Adelaide metropolitan area and cannot get to their appointments without our assistance. We will make every effort where possible to provide transport to eligible Clients for their appointments, but transportation shall not be considered an automatic program benefit.
The Transport Service can be booked either in person at Medical Reception or by telephoning:
Wakefield Street, Adelaide
Phone: (08) 8406 1600
Monday – 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
Tuesday to Friday – 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Brady Street, Elizabeth Downs
Phone: (08) 8254 5300
Tuesday to Friday – 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Bookings must be made 24 hours in advance for all appointments including specialist, X-ray, Nunkuwarrin Yunti and hospital appointments. For example, if your appointment is at 10.00 am on Wednesday, you need to make the booking by 10.00 am on the Tuesday. In case of an emergency we will do our best to provide transport but this is not always possible. The driver will pick up and return passengers from the address given at the time of booking with one drop off.
All appointments are to be booked through Medical Reception. Drivers will not accept bookings.
Cancelling your appointment
Please let us know if you will not be using booked transport as soon as possible (at least 24 hours) before you are due to be picked up. If you forget to cancel a booking on more than two occasions, or are consistently late for pick-up, you may be refused further use of the service
Maximum pick-up distance is 10 km from base, anything over this distance must have prior approval.
Clients eligible for transport:
- are unable to drive or to be driven by family/friends to essential health related appointments;
- are unable to access suitable public transport, and/or live in an area that is remote from public transport;
- do not have an escort or carer to accompany him or her on public transport to appointments, if accessible public transport exists;
- are not eligible for alternative transport schemes;
- pick-up is less than 10 kms from base
- Clients must be well enough to travel unassisted in a domestic passenger vehicle, in a seated position, and without medical personnel on board.
NY tiers transport Clients in the following order:
- Medical appointments
- External Specialist Appointments. Transport to first outpatient/specialist appointment can be arranged resulting from referral by Nunkuwarrin Yunti Doctors
- Dental Appointments
- Counselling/Psychologist appointments
Details on the NY Client Privacy of your Information is available for download through the brochure at the bottom of this page or by clicking here.
Priority is given to Clients who are:
- The Elderly (50 years +)
- Pregnant Women
- Parents/Carers travelling with Children
- Mobility Impaired – Disability and special needs to be communicated at time of booking
- Chronic Illness
We are unable to provide transport to Clients:
- That are able to get to their appointments without our assistance.
- Children under 16 years of age who are not accompanied by parent/guardian. We do not pick up from school/other locations. Client drop off point is the same address as pick up.
- With gophers, scooters, high care chairs. The vehicle is not wheel chair accessible if the Client must remain seated in the wheelchair;
- Who require intervening treatment, intravenous therapy, oxygen or monitoring, whilst in transit;
- Who are able to walk unassisted, or negotiate at least two steps with the help of a walking frame or stick; and are able to comfortably enter and exit a domestic passenger vehicle with minimal assistance;
- Who live in aged care facilities, nursing homes or supported residential services such as aged care hostels with paid support services attached to the facility.
Conditions of Use
Any misuse of the service will result in the person/s not being allowed further use of the service.
Transport assistance will be refused if you are abusive or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
No Eating or drinking in the vehicle.