Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
The Royal Commission wants to hear about sexual abuse that occurred to you as a child under the age of 18 while in an Institution. All governments in Australia believe that the Royal Commission will help to heal the hurt that has been caused by child sexual abuse in their institutions, and to help reduce the prevalence of this crime in future.
Nunkuwarrin Yunti has employed Aboriginal Caseworkers who will walk with you and provide support and guidance on your Journey to Heal. This service provides support and assistance to men and women who have experienced sexual abuse as children (under 18) in an Institution, for example at a school, in a children’s home, orphanage, in foster care, respite care, religious organisations, church missions, child care centres, detention centres or other institutions.
Who is the Royal Commission?
The Royal Commission is a group of public investigators that were established by the federal governments to conduct enquires into the Sexual abuse that happened to you in an Institution while under the age of 18.
The Royal Commission gathers information and evidence from your story and can:
- Conduct formal hearings
- Summon witnesses to appear before the Commission and answer questions under oath
- Summon witnesses to produce any documentation or other relevant materials
- Refer information about suspected or alleged acts of sexual abuse to the relevant law enforcement authorities
Our Social Health Specialist Caseworker (Royal Commission Service) Provides:
- Culturally Safe & informed one on one support to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Survivors of child sexual abuse and their family members while engaging in the Royal Commission process.
- A confidential service that assists and supports you in the preparation to telling your story to the Royal Commission.
- Relevant information that will assist you to cope with ongoing Social Emotional and Spiritual Wellbeing issues.
- An ongoing service that assists you and your family to cope with pain & trauma.
- Supported referrals to your choice of ongoing Healing & Therapeutic Services.
- Information, advocacy, and support to Connect and yarn with other services medical specialist, Counsellors, Psychologists housing, mental health and interpreter services
- Support in preparing statements for the Royal Commission registration process Intake & Assessment team
- Information and advice about what to expect when participating in the Royal Commission
- Accompaniment for clients to private sessions
For more information, please visit The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse website.