At Nunkuwarrin Yunti we offer free and confidential counselling as well as psychological services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, adolescents, adults and families.
What does a psychologist do?
Psychologists help people experiencing distress in their lives to regain a healthy spirit, healthy body and healthy mind. They do this by providing people with skills and knowledge about the effects that trauma, stress or mental illness has on their wellbeing and ability to cope. Psychologists are also able to undertake specialist assessments to support children engaging in education and developmental challenges, they are able to write reports to Centrelink, Courts and other government agencies and can assist in understanding mental health diagnoses.
What do our counsellors do?
Our Social & Emotional Well Being (SEWB) counselling service provides counselling, health promotion and early intervention services to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people affected by past government policies of child removal. This service is tailored to support 1st, 2nd, 3rd and later Stolen Generations and their families.
This is a free and confidential service that assists Aboriginal people and their families to deal with many issues including grief & loss, depression, domestic & family violence, family and/or relationship matters and any other issues which impact on social and emotional wellbeing.
Our Counsellor works closely with Link Up services, including Link Up SA and other services throughout Australia. Link Up services provide family tracing, reunion and counselling services for people separated from their family as a result of past governments’ removal policies and practices.
Below is a list of services we provide:
- One on one therapy (talking therapy)
- Assessment and Diagnosis
- Court reports
- Medico legal reports for Workcover and Centrelink
- Help to understand diagnosis and how to best manage a diagnosis
- Connection to Mental Health Recovery Case Workers
We also provide treatment for:
- Grief and loss
- Substance Abuse
- Anger management
- Domestic and Family Violence
- Pre/Post Natal Depression
- Relationship troubles
- Sleep Problems
- Panic Attacks
- Eating disorders
- Gambling Problems
- Behaviour problems
- Self-harm/ Suicidal Behaviour
- What to do if you or someone you know is thinking of hurting themselves
- Support for family members or friends of someone who has hurt themselves
However, we will not be able to:
- Read your mind
- Make you talk about things you don’t want to
Counselling and Psychological Treatment can help through many ways including:
- Helps people to talk about their situation and what is bothering them
- Provides a safe and confidential place to talk to somebody outside of the family
- Helps people to build skills to deal with conflict and trauma
- Helps families to talk through issues, improve communication and reduce conflict
- Helps develop confidence and strength in dealing with life challenges and stressful situations
We keep your confidentiality
No personal information is shared with people who you have not given permission. The only time when information will be shared is when:
- You give permission; or
- If you or someone else may be in immediate danger of serious harm; or
- If a court orders the psychologist to provide information in court.
How to Access Psychological Services
To make an appointment, you can:
Come in and see us at 182 – 190 Wakefield Street Adelaide, or
Call (08) 8406 1600, or
Fax (08) 8232 0949, or
We offer SEWB Counselling services in Adelaide and in Murray Bridge and surrounding areas. We also offer Psychological services at 182 – 190 Wakefield Street Adelaide.
Mental Health Care Plan
Your GP might discuss providing you with a Mental Health Care Plan. This is to help you access counselling with a Psychologist through the Better Access to Mental Health Care Scheme.
With a Mental Health Care Plan you are able to choose which Psychologist you would like to see.
This includes Psychologists at Nunkuwarrin Yunti or elsewhere. Psychologists at Nunkuwarrin Yunti will not charge you a gap and all Social and Emotional Well Being services at Nunkuwarrin Yunti are at no cost to you.
Would you like to know more?
Below is a list of additional external links that you can access for more information on psychology and counselling.