- Rare opportunity to join a prominent community program reuniting Aboriginal families
- Excellent remuneration circa $61,430 – $73,817 dependent on qualifications and experience + super and salary sacrificing options
- Ideal work/life balance with family-friendly hours & extra leave entitlements
- Based in Adelaide’s CBD with opportunity to travel throughout Australia to deliver reunions and promotion activities
About Nunkuwarrin Yunti
Nunkuwarrin Yunti, the foremost Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation in Adelaide aims to promote and deliver improvement in the health and wellbeing of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their families in the greater metropolitan area of Adelaide and to advance their social, cultural and economic status. The Organisation places a strong focus on a client centred approach to the delivery of services and a collaborative working culture to achieve the best possible outcomes for clients.
About Link-Up SA Program
Nunkuwarrin Yunti’s Link-Up Program aims to support and unite Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander individuals and families who were separated under Australia’s past government policies and practices including people identified as Stolen Generations, adopted, fostered or institutionalised. The Link-Up Team provides culturally appropriate services including family history research and tracing, reunification and counselling, as well as promoting community awareness on the impacts of forced removals.
About the Opportunity
Nunkuwarrin Yunti has an exciting opportunity for a Counsellor to join their Link-Up Team based in Adelaide’s CBD on a full-time basis.
Your primary purpose will be to provide culturally safe social & emotional wellbeing support and counselling services to members of the Stolen Generations, their families and communities.
This will be achieved through:
- Provision of therapeutic counselling services to individuals, families and groups;
- Collaborating with caseworkers in the planning of reunions in consultation with clients, families, communities, and other state based Link Up services;
- The supported release of family research records and information; and maintaining confidential client records;
- Maintaining working relationships with community groups, organisations, and agencies;
- Establishing a referral network of professional counsellors, traditional healers and relevant health professionals;
- Assisting in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of relevant Link-Up client workshops and community event/activities.
To deliver key program components some out-of-hours work and travel within Adelaide and throughout Australia is essential to delivering reunions and community promotion activities.
With a minimum of a Diploma in Narrative Approaches, Counselling or Mental Health, or similarly relevant field you will possess previous counselling experience within the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community.
You will have an understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues, as well as those issues relating to individuals who have been removed from their families and communities, either through forcible removal and institutionalisation, fostering, and/or adoption. This should include a knowledge of relevant therapeutic models of intervention and trauma informed perspectives. A background in individual and group counselling services, along with the ability to manage a complex client caseload is essential; as too is the ability to coordinate and facilitate group workshops.
Due to the nature of this role, applicants from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background are encouraged to apply.
Please note: It is a requirement of this role that successful applicants possess A current Driver’s License with a willingness to drive in the course of work activities AND are willing to undergo a National Police Check prior to commencing employment.
To view the Job and Person Specification click here
Applications must address the Selection Criteria in the Job Description.
Please forward your Cover Letter, Job Application addressing the Selection Criteria and current CV to email@example.com
Should you have any queries or for further information please contact HR via firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Friday 17th August 2018 at 5pm Adelaide time.